NO PERSON, EITHER MAN OR WOMAN, SHALL BE DENIED MEMBERSHIP BECAUSE OF RACE, CREED OR COLOUR.
At a meeting of the Directors on 5th March 1923 it was resolved that the Company should enter into a contract with Bovis Ltd to construct the golf club. Bovis were delighted to undertake the task and, most importantly, agreed that payment for the work should be made at the Club's convenience.
In June 1923 further Directors were appointed and, most unusually for the time, one of them was a woman, Mrs A. Austin.
There is evidence that the great golfer and course designer James Braid prepared the designs and plans for the course for the sum of £250. The actual building of the course was done by a group of gardeners employed by the Club using a "gang mower" comprising five small mowers linked together by a piece of timber and pulled by a horse purchased from the local butcher for £20.
On the 27th September 1924 the course was officially opened with exhibition matches played by J. H. Taylor, F. Ray, J. Braid and A. Herd all ex British Open champions.
The Club went through a difficult period during the second world war as members were in the army and those that weren't found it difficult to travel. Parts of the course were requisitioned by the army, a concrete "pill-box" still exists between the 11th green and 12th tee. Other parts were ploughed up for farming. What was left was maintained by a small but dedicated group of members.
In 1948 the Company owning the Club was dissolved and a new one created in which every golfing member has a share and equal voting rights. A Board of Directors was elected to run the Club on behalf of the members, and that is how the Club exists today.